29 September, 2010

shenanigans

Where to begin?
Adam started class on Monday, he came home from his first day and read case studies and a chapter in a text book for about 3 hours. I know I had no idea he knew how to read that much. Then the second day he had no readings to do. Who knows how much reading will be normal.
One of Adam's class mates is from Fort Collins, small world! Thankfully this class mate is married and his wife is with him here in Dublin. It's been fun to get together with her to talk and laugh about the changes in our lives. One of the things we laugh the most about is how shopping here is limited by the amount you can carry. It's very different from filling up your cart at the grocery and then putting your bags directly into your car. The differences start with the actual grocery. They are about 1/8 of the size of King Soopers, in fact you can do all of your grocery shopping at the convenience store down the street. Then when you get to the check out, if you have forgotten your re-usable bags you will have to pay for plastic bags. When you get home then you hope that you will have enough room in your dorm sized fridge to hold all of your purchases. Now don't think that I am complaining, in fact I absolutely love it. I'm wondering why I did not move to a large city sooner.
One of the other crazy things about life here is that laundry takes about four years. First of all you can only put about three pairs of pants into the washer. Oh and the washer is also the dryer, two in one! So after the laundry is finally done, you open the door and steam slaps you in the face. If the clothes are actually dry after the first time through they will be wrinkled beyond recognition. I've even considered ironing sheets, but then I changed my mind because that just seems silly. Oh and I guess energy costs more during the day, so I should be doing the wash in the evenings? Still some things to figure out.
And please can someone tell me exactly what a hot press is for? I know it's the cabinet that holds the boiler but is that the only purpose?
Now work. I was able to get my green card application in the mail on Thursday of last week. I know it got delivered the next day. As far as the website shows the folks in charge of approving my applications should start to look at it as early as next Wednesday! We put my first day in the clinic as October 18th but it could be earlier than that I'm guessing, no so terrible when you think that is almost two months since we landed here. With three doctors in a clinic with two treatment rooms I will not be in the clinic five days a week which is exciting to me because it gives me time during the week to potentially work with the horses.
For my BNI friends, I visited my first meeting this morning. The only option for times of meetings is 6:45 am. Now you can choose your day either Wednesday, Thursday or Friday. It was strange to be on the visitor side again but it's nice knowing how the meeting will run no matter what country you are in. Now take notice back in the states because a years membership here will run you 600 euro a year. Visiting two more groups this week and then two next week. It feels good to get back in the swing of business.
Thank you Dad for the package, we now have enough peanut butter for at least three months and contact solution for six. Enjoy today and Rislov family know you are in our thoughts, we are so glad you are all safe.

1 comment:

  1. Airing cupboard
    An airing cupboard is a large built-in wardrobe, sometimes of walk-in dimensions, containing a water heater; either an immersion heater for hot running water or a boiler for central heating water. Shelves, usually slatted to allow for circulation of heat, are positioned above or around the heater to provide storage for clothing, typically linen and towelling. The purpose is to prevent damp and to dry wet clothing. Other names include "boiler cupboard", or (in Ireland) "hot press".

    Now we know!

    ReplyDelete