06 September, 2010
Labor Day?
Our first realization that holidays are different here. Everyone went to work today. The holidays here include New Year's, St Patrick's Day (duh!), Easter Monday?, the first Monday in May, June and August, then the last Monday in October, Christmas and then St Stephen's Day which is the day after Christmas. So no big after christmas sales until the 27th I guess? And I get the feeling that we are a bit ripped off compared to the states but then I remembered that a full work week here is 37.5 hours. So I guess it's probably a draw.
Spent a portion of today filling out paperwork for my Green Card. Thankfully they did not ask for any body parts or my first born so I'm thinking it was a success! Of course there is always information you need that you don't have. One piece of such info is the registration with the Chiropractic Association here in Ireland. A quick phone call and I found that their hours are Monday thru Friday 10:00 to 13:00, really? So 15 hours a week in that office is full time I guess. It's amazing the hours that folks keep here, oh and if you think you can get anything done between 12:00 and 14:00 you have something coming, everyone goes to lunch. There have been many days where we walk to where we are headed and then find out it's 12:13 and we have to wait around. I guess we could plan more efficiently but it doesn't always work that way. Anyway, I'm grateful to be a "Medical Professional" today. It allows me to apply for a Green Card, which allows me to work about 6 weeks sooner than if I had to go the Work Permit route. They are processing Green Card applications today that are were received on August 20th, they are processing Work Permit applications today that were received on July 5th. Hence my gratefulness to slide in with a Green Card.
Not a ton to report about the office I will be working in. There are two other female chiropractors, one from Canada and one actually from Colorado! They have a full time marketing guru that has screenings scheduled every Friday and Saturday from now until January, and for my chiropractic friends screening are not the norm here. Hence the need for another doctor. The doctors in the office now are having a hard time taking on new patients. This is where I come in. Thankfully to a practice that has more patients than the doctors can handle. Although everyone knew that was the situation I would come into, I just had to worry about it. Once the Green Card info is processed I can get working so hopefully we will get information off before the end of the week so I can start in the clinic before October.
Thankfully since Kate and Sue and of course Dr. Hyatt I am handling this continued time of transition just fine, Adam on the other hand is struggling. I'm not sure he's ever had this much free time on his hands. When we first got here, we were running all over campus to get answers as well as trying to find a home, Adam did just fine. Now that we are moved in and almost all the way settled he's struggling to find out what to do with himself. He actually cleaned the oven out today while I was at the clinic, I even hate cleaning out the oven so I know he was bored. It was also pouring out today as well as still no bikes, so that meant staying close to home anyway. Thankfully he starts orientation two weeks from today, and orientation here means a week full of 9 to 5. Then the week after that he starts class! That means his time looking for rally cars will probably come to an end, saving us just €40,000. (And if you are wondering on a Mac to get the € symbol it's shift - option - 2, another end result of Adam's "research".)
I think that's about all, oh and Charlie, I've gotten down baking the white bread so I'll work on the brown stuff next. And if anyone is heading over, please please please put a container of marshmallow fluff and yellow mustard (Adam says Plochman's) in your suitcase! The strange things you realize you love from home but they don't have here in the grocery, or at least here in the city. But on the other hand Irish cider is delicious!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Oh and Ikea here has a fabulous food court! Do they have that back home? Swedish Meatballs A+++++++ Also our first very successful trip on the Dublin Bus! Small miracles.
ReplyDelete